What is Scratch?Scratch is a programming language with an online community where children can program and share interactive media such as stories, games, and animation with people from all over the world. As children create with Scratch, they learn to think creatively, work collaboratively, and reason systematically. The following are some reasons why students should learn to code with Scratch
1. Learn mathematical and computational ideasAs kids create in Scratch, they understand essential mathematical concepts such as coordinates, numbers, and variables in a meaningful and motivating context. In the classroom, kids usually feel little personal connection to the material. However, with Scratch, they immediately engage in the material’s concepts in fun ways. They control the speed of a racing car or track the score in the game they’ve created. Thus, their very own games teach them core computational concepts, such as iteration and conditionals, in an entertaining and educational context.
2. Develop essential skills for the 21st-centuryAs kids immerse themselves in Scratch projects, they learn about the development process used for project creation in various industries. The steps in the development process are:
- Conceiving an idea
- Considering the feasibility of an idea
- Creating a working prototype
- Experimenting and fine-tuning the prototype
- Receiving feedback and making revisions
- Publishing the final product
At Wiz Kid , we understand the value of a program like Scratch. Thus, we have crafted a world-class Scratch program to build those core technological and personal skills essential for future success while keeping kids enthusiastically engaged in the projects they’ve developed. Throughout the week, kids will participate in fun community-building games and team-based projects designed to build collaboration skills and create an uplifting camp environment.